Aaaah, May Bank holiday weekends. Don’t you just LOVE them?!
A teasing hint that summer is on its way, a dose of glorious sunshine (if you’re lucky!), a lazy long weekend with family – and for us – our first camping trip of the year!
So when Morrisons invited me to become a #MorrisonsMum last weekend, I knew instantly what was needed for our Bank Holiday shop. All the ingredients for a PERFECT camping weekend away!
With a budget of £80, we got a car boot full of groceries. All the food necessary for our camping trip and plenty enough for meals next week, school lunch box supplies and even washing detergent and fabric softener. Ugh laundry – the downside to a weekend away!
Now it should be said, I’m more ‘glamper’ than ‘camper’ and there’s no rubbing sticks to create a fire here. We went fully prepared with our little gas stove, bbq and electric cool box. Our supplies were plentiful and enough to feed a small army! Lean burgers, Weight Watchers sausages, bread rolls, salad, eggs, bacon, fruit, yoghurts and drinks – and all the ingredients necessary to make some of our favourite camping meals.
Camp Fire Pizza
- Morrisons tortilla wraps (6 for 69p)
- Morrisons tomato and basil pasta sauce (500g for 75p)
- Pilgrims Choice Lighter Mature Cheddar (350g for £2.24)
- Galbani mozzarella (125g for £1.35)
- Pepperoni (120g for £1.59)
- Pre-heat your pan on your camping stove to a medium heat and spritz with Fry Light baking spray
- Place one tortilla wrap in the pan and ‘toast’ until one side is lightly golden. Rotate for even colouration
- Flip your tortilla over and spread with a generous covering of pasta sauce. (Pesto works great, too!)
- Sprinkle with grated cheddar and some bite-sized pieces of mozzarella
- Top with pepperoni (I cut my pieces in half for extra coverage and less fat)
- Cover your pan with a loose sheet of bacofoil to retain the heat and leave until cheese has melted
- Serve quickly
Cost per pizza – £1.18
BBQ’d Chocolate Bananas
- Morrisons bananas (5 for £1)
- Cadbury Dairy Milk (200g for £1.99)
- Slit your banana length-ways to create a ‘pocket’ in which to add your chocolate
- Fill with 3 or 4 squares of Cadbury’s Dairy Millk
- Wrap loosely with a double-sheet of Bacofoil and place on camp barbecue (on low heat / dying ashes)
- Leave for 10-15 minutes or until banana feels soft to squish
- Unwrap and enjoy!
Cost per serving – £0.53 (or £1.06 if you accidentally eat 2 )
Camp fire marshmallows need no instructions, but if… if you’ve never tried these little beauties before… just stick some marshmallows on a skewer and gently turn over hot charcoal.
The outside develops a delightful crust, whilst the inside goes all warm and gooey. Be warned, this will drip down your chin. And sweater. And jeans.
But don’t take too long toasting, or they will melt and fall off. And you will be very, very sad
Cost – £1.29 per large bag.
(I will leave it to your discretion as to whether or not you share!)
Shopping at Morrisons
At Morrisons, it was great to see that nearly all the fresh meat and groceries had a long shelf-life. I am not good at planning my meals ahead and there is nothing more disappointing than opening the fridge to discover something you bought only a day or two earlier has already passed it’s Use By date. Thankfully, we were able to stock up well knowing that when we returned home, we would not need to go shopping once again.
I also told the kiddos they could chose one treat each if they were good. I honestly expected them to run to the sweets aisle, instead, Lauren grabbed a bag of sweet clementines and Thomas some Scooby Doo pasta. I consider that a WIN!
Did you all have a great bank holiday weekend? What did you get up to? Enquiring minds want to know
Disclaimer: I receive complimentary shopping vouchers in order to share my #MorrisonsMum experience. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Many thanks to BritMums and Morrisons for reaching out to me to share with my readers!