I love cookies.
But just because I’m working hard to lose weight, it doesn’t mean I want to give-up on all my favourite foods. What I DO want, is to learn how to incorporate them into my new healthier lifestyle and learn to make better choices with better ingredients.
Go Nutrition are a sports nutrition company focused on giving the absolute best in sports nutrition. When I was offered the opportunity to try out some of their health foods in my cooking, I just knew that I wanted to take a fave food of mine and recreate it with a healthy twist!
Healthy Gluten-Free Choc Chip Cookies
250g quinoa flour
180g dark brown sugar
150g chocolate chips
160ml organic, virgin coconut oil (runny, but cool)
1 whole medium egg + 1 yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°c
- Line a baking tray with grease proof paper
- In a food mixer, beat together the oil + sugar until smooth
- Add the eggs + vanilla and continue to beat until light and creamy
- Add the salt and bicarbonate of soda to the quinoa flour and stir well
- Slowly add the flour-mix to your mixer (hello flour cloud!) and continue until all incorporated
- Lastly, add the chocolate chips and stir through
- Take a tablespoon (or thereabouts) of cookie dough and roll into a 2 inch ball and place on your lined baking sheet.
- Leave a couple of inches between each dough ball otherwise they will spread and stick to each other in the oven.
Depending on the warmth of your kitchen, you may find the cookie mix a little too soft and sticky to roll into balls. If so, just pop into the fridge for 5 – 10 minutes to firm up.
- Pop your cookie dough into the oven for 8 – 10 minutes (watch carefully!) or until the top and edges begin to turn a light golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and carefully slide your sheet of baking paper onto a cooling rack and leave your cookies to firm up and cool down.
Pop the kettle on and enjoy!
Oh these cookies are good. Lightly crunchy on the outside and soft and gooey in the middle. Oh, and heavenly when still warm!
Unlike regular store-bought packets of choc-chip cookies these are not sugary-sweet, but sweet enough to satisfy my crazy sugar cravings. And with all-natural, high quality ingredients (no artificial sweeter, no preservative and no ‘numbers’) you needn’t feel guilty if you indulge in a few.
If you’re following me on my Slimming World journey, you maybe thinking, “c’mon Natalie, just how many syns are in these cookies?!” and the answer is 6.
Yes, this is higher than an average 2.5 / 3 for a small packet cookie, but they are TWICE the size. And whilst this former fat-girl would previously have been quite content munching through half a packet (don’t judge me!) of shop cookies, I just don’t feel the need to with these. Maybe it’s the protein-rich quinoa flour that leaves you so satisfied.
If you want to try cooking with quinoa flour, coconut oil or have fun ‘changing up’ some recipes into healthier alternatives – go check out Go Nutrition. They have a complete range of health foods and so much more.
Do you cook with quinoa flour or coconut oil?
Share your favourite recipe in the comments section below – I’d love to hear them!