A simple salad can be really satisfying on a hot summers day – easy to prepare, tasty to eat and with just a few extra ingredients, can be a healthy meal the whole family can enjoy.
Many years ago, I remember dining out with my Hubby and ordering a ‘hot top salad’ from a local pub restaurant. It was a simple salad topped with slices of hot pepperoni and fried potatoes – and I LOVED it. Dripping in salad dressing, it was by no means a healthy option, so I decided to re-create this much loved dish with a healthier twist!
Healthy Hot Top Salad
When I think of salads, I try to be a little creative. There’s nothing worse than feeling that the food you are eating is a punishment for being on a diet.
In this Hot Top Salad recipe, I’ve added potatoes… combined with the chicken this is really filling.
If there are any ingredients in this salad that you are not too keen on, just swap them out but be sure to check your Slimming World book to make sure that you stay on plan!
My Healthy Hot Top Salad
One handful of mixed salad leaves per person
4 sticks of celery, thinly sliced
16 cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 a red onion, thinly sliced in ‘moons’
1/2 a cucumber, sliced
12 salad potatoes, quartered
2 chicken breasts
6 rashers of lean, smoked bacon
Low fat chilli, lime and coriander dressing (Sainsburys)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180*C
- Loosely wrap your chicken breasts in a foil parcel and place on a baking tray
- Arrange your chopped potatoes evenly on a baking tray and spritz with lo-cal (Frylight) cooking spray
- Place both the chicken and potatoes into hot oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are golden brown
- Whilst the potatoes and chicken are baking, cook the bacon rashers in a non-stick frying pan (no added oil), trim and drain any excess fat
- Share salad ingredients amongst 4 large bowls and gently toss to mix through
- Sliced the cooked chicken breast and cut the cooked bacon into strips and share evenly across each serving
- Generously season the cooked potato and add to the salad bowls
- Lightly top with salad dressing
1.5 syns per level tablespoon of dressing on Slimming World Extra Easy