Summer temperatures are finally upon us… and with that comes long, lazy dinners in the garden. You’ve gotta soak up the light, warm evenings whilst they last! Finding quick and nutritious dinners the whole family will enjoy can be challenging, and I don’t want to be stuck in the kitchen any longer than necessary. Bursting with flavour and nutrition, this masala and mango marinaded chicken with salad can be on the plate in under 20 minutes. #winner.
I’ve chosen to marinade chicken, but this would also work equally well with a firm white fish, like monkfish, as a tasty glaze to BBQ’d meat or delicious simply served as a dip.
- Chicken consists of high-quality protein and a relatively low amount of fat. The fat is mostly of the unsaturated type, which protects against heart disease.
- 100 grams of skinless, boneless breast has 31g of protein – more than half the recommended daily allowance of 46 grams of protein for an adult female.
- A 100g serving of cooked skinless, boneless breast has only one gram of saturated fat and less than four grams of total fat.
Masala and Mango marinade
- Groovy Food’s agave nectar is harvested from the organic Blue Webber agave plant in Mexico. The core of the plant is crushed and the nectar is released and then filtered.
- Agave has 25 per cent fewer calories than refined sugar and is naturally much sweeter (almost twice as sweet) and so much less needs to be used to achieve the same sweetness.
- It has a naturally low GI of 17, meaning the energy release is slow and steady as opposed to refined sugars which can cause sugar highs and lows.
Naan bread can be a secret source of fats and calories, so pay attention to the package you buy. The ones I’ve used here are small (it’s all about moderation). If you are watching your calorie intake, why not switch the naan for a wholemeal tortilla or serve with a side of brown rice instead for a tasty alternative.
(The product isn’t yet listed on the SW app or online, but I used the syn calculator to determine the values (see link above). 100g is 7 syns. I used 50g, therefore only 3.5 syns shared between two people).
This masala and mango marinade transforms some simple chicken into a mid-week dinner winner.
A little spicy. Totally saucy.
Try it for yourself: The Groovy Food Company
- 1 chicken breast
- 40g Groovy Food Agave Masala Mango Marinade, plus a little extra for serving
- 2 garlic and coriander naan breads
- Mixed salad
- Yoghurt and mint dressing
- Pre-heat your oven to 180c (fan assisted)
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and stir through a generous amount of marinade
- Set aside for the flavours to infuse (5 minutes if in a hurry, refrigerated overnight is ideal)
- Thread the chicken pieces onto a wooden skewer and bake for 10 minutes
- Turn the chicken skewers over and cook for a further 5 minutes (or until cooked right through)
- Just before your chicken finishes cooking, add your naan bread to the oven for 3-4 minutes to warm though
- To serve, brush your cooked chicken skewers with some more masala and mango marinade and serve on top of naan bread and salad
- Drizzle with some cool yoghurt and mint dressing
Disclaimer: I received a complimentary bottle of The Groovy Food Company Masala with Mango Marinade. All thoughts, opinions and post content is entirely my own.