Two nights ago, my 8-year old chose dinner, and mashed potato was on the menu.
I am useless at gauging how much mash to cook for our family of 4, and erring on the side of caution, I cooked too much. Not wanting to waste (or eat!) the leftover, I decided to freeze it.
With no freezer-proof containers to hand, these colourful ice cube trays from IKEA came to mind and in turn, this led to a fabulous foodie discovery!
Mashed Potato Bites
Here, I used up leftover mash, but these were so good, I’d actually make a batch just for this!
I can’t tell you the exact ‘recipe’ for my mash, since I just throw it together – but this mash is syn-free* on the Slimming World Extra Easy plan.
I simply peeled and chopped some regular white potatoes, and boiled until soft. I used a potato ricer to get a smooth mash (a regular masher will do just fine!), and added a splash of skimmed milk* and stirred until creamy.
- Spoon your mash into the ice cube trays and freeze.
- When ready to eat, pop your frozen shapes out onto a non-stick baking tray.
- Spritz the top of each one with one squirt of Fry Light (I used the Olive Oil variety).
- Season with freshly ground salt and pepper.
- Pop into a pre-heated oven at 180° for 18 minutes (or until golden brown on top).
And they are good!
Slimming World Info:
If you’re following the Slimming World ‘Extra Easy’ plan these mashed potato bites are syn free on the Extra Easy plan (when using milk from your daily HexA allowance).
I think I’ll be making these often!
Syn free, no added oils or stabilisers so often found in similar supermarket products, convenient to make and freeze ahead – and they cost only pennies to make.
Give them a try… come back and tell me what you think