Cereal has become a school-day breakfast staple in our house. It’s quick, it’s easy, the kids love it and it gets us out the house with minimal fuss each morning.
I know cereal isn’t the perfect breakfast choice. I’m not trying to be perfect. I buy the wholegrain, healthier versions when I can, but some days, I just cave to the demands for Weetos.
We have a cupboard full of half-eaten boxes of cereal the kids have now lost all interest in and it seems so wasteful to throw them away. Instead, I’ve devised a way to re-purpose the cereals into on-the-go cereal snack bars
Make Your Own Cereal Bars
- 1 serving (approx 30g) cereal
- 12g mini marshmallows
Optional: melted chocolate to drizzle, sprinkles, desiccated coconut
- Place cereal into a microwave-proof bowl and top with mini marshmallows
- Microwave on high for approximately 20 – 30 seconds, until marshmallows become molten and puffy
- Quickly stir to combine ingredients
- Empty ingredients onto a small piece of greaseproof baking paper and pull the sides around to shape into a bar
- If adding sprinkles, top your cereal bar with chosen topping before the marshmallow begins to harden
- Put in fridge to set
My Cereal Bars
From left to right
#1 – Branflakes with sultanas + pink marshmallows + chocolate drizzle + desiccated coconut
#2 – Weetos + white marshmallows + pink sprinkles
#3 – Cherry muesli + white marshmallows
May Your Own Slimming World ‘HiFi’ Cereal Bars
If like me you follow the Slimming World plan, you can enjoy these cereal bars too. Simply use a ‘Healthy B Choice’ cereal for a high fibre boost and to safeguard your weight loss success.
Check your book or app for the full list, but my faves include:
- 35g Dorset Cereals Simply Delicious Muesli
- 30g Kelloggs All-Bran Red Berry Crunch
- 35g Kelloggs All-Bran Sultana Bran
- 35g Sainsburys Puffed Wheat
- 35g Nestle Shreddies
- 30g Weetabix Chocolate Spoonsize (crushed)
… and 12g of marshmallows are just 2 syns on the Slimming World plan.