Fakeaways are the new takeaway!
Before I started my Slimming World journey, I could easily enjoy 2, maybe 3 takeaways a week. It’s no wonder I was piling on the pounds!
For me, it was always Chinese. I adored my egg fried rice and crispy duck pancakes. And even those times when I tried to be healthier and bought a supermarket takeaway, they never tasted quite the same.
Determined not to give up the things I love, I set about figuring out how to take my favourite dishes and make them ‘skinny’. After all, where’s the fun in just having a tiny portion – or sacrificing taste. Call me greedy, but I want it all!
I think I’ve darn near perfected how to make egg fried rice. It tastes just like that from the takeaway!
Egg Fried Rice
- Long grain white rice (allow 70g uncooked weight per person)
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- Soy sauce
- 1 egg (per 2 persons of rice)
- Handful of frozen peas, defrosted
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
For best results, pre-cook the rice in advance following the packet instructions and cool quickly by placing in a sieve under cold running water.
(Be careful not to overcook the rice or it will go sticky). I undercook mine by 1-2 minutes. You could even do this stage the day before.
- Heat your wok (medium to high) and add a teaspoon of sesame oil. Swirl around to ensure an even coating of your pan.
- Add your cooled, cooked rice and stir to break up any lumps.
- Cook the rice for a couple of minutes until hot right through.
- Apply a generous shake of soy sauce to your rice and stir until the rice is evenly coated and the same golden colour throughout. (I use dark soy sauce because I prefer the more intense flavour).
- In a small bowl, lightly beat an egg with a fork.
- Make a well in the centre of your rice and pour in the beaten egg.
- Allow the egg to sit for just a moment until it begins to set, before gently stirring with a wooden spoon.
- When lightly scrambled – and with some runny egg still present – quickly stir into the rice.
- Add your peas and chopped spring onion, and stir to warm through.
- Serve quickly.
Slimming World Info:
If you’re following the Slimming World ‘Extra Easy’ plan this egg fried rice recipe contains just 1 syn per person for the sesame oil. So worth it for the taste! All other ingredients are FREE on the plan
By comparison, a typical portion served in a Chinese takeaway is four times that amount at 4 syns! See, ‘fakeaway’ IS the new ‘takeaway!’
Enjoy this Slimming World friendly egg fried rice recipe with my delicious pancake rolls and crispy seaweed dishes too.
The whole lot for just 5 syns!
Go to: crispy seaweed recipe
Go to: Chinese style pancake wraps